Website Manager

Nampa Babe Ruth League

League Announcement

Please view this announcement from our league president regarding our 2020 Spring Season. 
https://www.facebook.com/NampaBabeRuth/videos/709848893090460/

League update 4/20/20

4/20/2020 – NBR League Update

Greetings Nampa Babe Ruth Coaches, Players and Family Members:

We hope this message finds you and your loved ones safe and in good spirits. The NBR Board of Directors wanted to give an update regarding the Spring season during this unprecedented public health crisis – specifically COVID-19.

On Monday, April 6 the Idaho State board of Education (SBOE) made a motion directing schools to extend the “soft closure” through the end of their school calendar year. For the Nampa School District, this means the buildings and playgrounds will remain closed to students until at least May 31. Friday the 17th the Idaho High School Activities Association Board of Directors followed suit and announced that all spring sport and activity seasons and all state tournaments were cancelled.  Their decision also followed those guidelines established by Governor Little, the Idaho State Board of Education, as well as feedback from schools and districts throughout the state. 

Our own Nampa Babe Ruth Board of Directors – made up of community members and parents of players just like you – have met regularly to stay informed with changes and developments that impact our ability to operate as a league. In addition to our own discussions, we asked for your input. THANK YOU for those of you who responded to the survey. The information gathered allowed us to check the pulse of the league and how families are feeling about playing ball moving forward. Let me share with you some of what we heard:
- More than 60% wish for a decision from the league by the end of April – many preferring by mid-April.
- Many people will choose NOT to have their player participate even IF we were able to gather soon – this would impact those team rosters that have already been created.
- And nearly half of respondents prefer a credit to a future season over a refund.

After hearing from you and after learning of the most recent revisions to the guidelines set by our Federal, State and Local governments this week… after weeks careful deliberation – at this time our Nampa Babe Ruth Board of Directors is moving forward to announce the difficult decision to cancel our 2020 Spring Baseball and Softball season.

We understand the disappointment this decision presents for our players, coaches, and parents and we empathize with all who are impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak. However, we feel that it is in the best interest of all our stakeholders to comply with the orders set forth that prohibit all non-essential gatherings of any number of individuals. Unfortunately for us, that means we do not have the ability to play ball and at this time and we have no clear timeline as to when we may be able to reconvene.

Let’s talk about where we go from here.

Option 1Donate your registration fees to Nampa Babe Ruth. The league is a non-profit organization and as such, any registrations fees not returned or refunded will be used for future operating costs, capital improvements to fields or facilities and to help keep player fees affordable for all in future seasons.

Option 2 – T-Ball participants - should you request a refund you will receive a full refund.

Baseball/Softball – May request a Partial Refund.

You might ask, “Why a partial refund – we didn’t even get to play?”

Year-to-date the league has incurred more than $30,000 of expenses in advance of the season starting. These costs include insurance, advertising, field expenses, postage – and other business necessities. Some of these costs incurred are for items that can and will be used in future seasons. We have worked through a process to ensure we can give the highest refund possible. As a non-profit organization I can ensure you any money received by the league is not to turn a profit, but to avoid catastrophic losses we cannot afford. That said, just $10 of each player registration will be deducted to go towards these expenses already incurred by the league. Let me give an example: You have a Majors Division player, you paid a $95 registration fee – should you request a refund you will receive $85 or approximately 90% of your registration paid. More detailed information about league expenses and the math behind this decision can be found in an email that will be sent out following this announcement.

Requests for a refund can be requested beginning immediately and MUST be submitted no later than May 31, 2020. It is anticipated refunds will be issued beginning June 1st. It is our hope to process all refund requests no later than June 30th.

To request a refund please send an email to: [email protected] and include the following:
- Parent Name, Phone Number & the Address you want refund to be mailed.
- Player Names & Dates of Birth – this is needed for each player registered.
- Age Division registered to play
- Method used to pay registration fees (cash, check, debit/credit)

Option 3Credit to our Fall Baseball Season. Should you choose the credit option, this credit will cover 100% of the player registration fees for our upcoming Fall 2020 season. No credits will carry over into next year. To request a credit please send an email to: [email protected] and include the following:
- Your Name, Phone Number, Address you want credit voucher to be mailed.
- Player Names
- Age Division registered to play
- Method used to pay registration fees (cash, check, debit/credit)

Now, I understand that some of you may be dissatisfied with these options. Let me take this opportunity to ask you to get involved as a volunteer. We are an organization made up of volunteers who help to make decisions and create positive player experiences. If you have an opinion on our decision or if you wish to get involved as a volunteer – feel free to contact me directly. We will find a way to get you involved.

Lastly, I wish to address the topic of Summer baseball or Summer All-Star Program. As a league we absolutely want to play and expect to get to play at some point. Currently, we do not have a lot of guidance on this topic. I have been in constant communication with other Treasure Valley Babe Ruth leagues as well as the Idaho Babe Ruth Commissioner. State and Regional Tournaments are still scheduled. More information to come on this topic for sure.

For now, that is all the information we have. Please first refer to our league-wide emails for additional information and continue to follow us on Facebook for future updates.

In closing, we look forward to the day when all our children can return to the ball fields. Until that time – stay safe and do your part to ensure we ALL can return to normal as soon as possible.

On behalf of the Nampa Babe Ruth Board of Directors, our Coaches and numerous other volunteers - I thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you all return to participate with Nampa Babe Ruth in the future.

Thank you,

Matt Wade
League President
Nampa Babe Ruth
[email protected]